I was asked recently why I started my company. It was an interesting exercise to put my reasons into words. And the conversation only reaffirmed why I am so glad I established my company.
Here are my reasons:
- I added starting a business to my bucket list about 10 years ago. The goal was to establish it before I turned 40.
- I wanted to be my own boss.
- I wanted to have more than one source of income.
- I was tired of seeing less competent and less industrious people establish businesses, giving the rest of us entrepreneurs a bad name.
- I realized there were too few public relations firms headed by African-Americans.
- I have a lot of talent and knowledge, and there was no reason I should not share it with others.
Your turn! Business owners, why did you start your companies?